If you are new to home ownership, then the whole ordeal can prove rather intimidating. Even after you find a property you love, make an offer, have the inspection, negotiate, lock down the mortgage and insurance, and then move in, you are faced with all this space of your own that you want to make your own. Home improvement projects are how you customize a space as your own, but if you have never done them before, this can be very intimidating. In cases like this it is best off to start small and build up to bigger and better things. Keep reading to learn 6 home improvement for beginners ideas you can use to spruce up your home.
1) Paint a room. Throwing up a fresh coat of paint might not seem like a home improvement project, but in many cases it does seriously improve at least that room, particularly if the color makes the room a place you want to be. It is one of the simplest upgrades you can do. If you are into wall paper, that is a very similar task, although not many homeowners currently do wall paper anymore.
2) Check your tool set and collection. The tools you currently own or know how to use are going to seriously restrict or limit what projects you can and can not do. Having said that, tools you do not have but need can often be rented from local home improvement stores or borrowed from neighbors.
3) Do your homework online. This is a resource a wealth of information that your parents and grandparents did not have when they first bought their homes. Blogs, forums, and perhaps most importantly do-it-yourself videos all can show you how to do small to even medium size home improvement projects around your home. This is a great place to identify particular projects you want to accomplish as well as learn the skills you need.
4) Be a regular at your local home improvement store. They likely have regular classes, demonstrations, and workshops showing you how to do things around the home. Attend as many as you can to learn all sorts of skills and possibilities. You might also form social connections with other homeowners and can help each other out with projects when more than one pair of hands is necessary.
5) Start with the yard. Do not just settle for mowing the grass when it needs it (if you have it). Do some basic landscaping and plant beautiful things that are easy to care for. Put in a birdfeeder, bird bath, or plants that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. When your yard is gorgeous, it sets a mental standard you eventually follow through with inside too.
6) Make the kitchen look new. A fresh coat of paint, new pulls and knobs, and restaining or refinishing the cabinets, drawers, counters is not a hard project, and it can make your kitchen like it just got a full renovation.
Now that you know these 6 ideas for home improvement for beginners, you can start making your home look and feel like the haven that you envision and dream of.